Saturday, February 27, 2010

Walk Out To Winter

Keeping myself in the SCS top 5 has been harduous. It's the most physically demanding thing I've attempted since I used to run half marathons regularly back in the late 80s, early 90s.

My physical fitness has been gradually sliding since back then; only since December 2008 have I begun to reverse that trend.

Having got to the stage where I can happily cycle 30 miles a day, the worst winter for 30 years or more arrives. I'm still cycling 30 miles a day, but it's harder than it should be. I cycled through the ice and the snow, and now I'm cycling through hail, sleet, heavy rain and winds gusting up to 50mph. It's having a heavy toll on the bike, on my cycling clothes and the contents of my no longer water proof panniers.

Every day I have a layer of grit over me and the bike. the grit is getting into all the moving parts of the bike, forcng me to make weekly visits to the bike shop, and I've been making little trails of grit everywhere i go - at work and at home.

Thursday I finally cracked and instead of cycling home, I jumped on a train. Then yesterday I got the bus and DLR into work.

This has left me about 50 miles short of my February target which I have to make up today and tomorrow. That's 20 miles today adn 30 tomorrow. Should be a doddle, as long as it doesn't start raining again.

No comments: