Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"ER, EXCUSE ME, MAN OR WOMAN?"

Had a funny (amusing) event happen to me this morning. I left home today in a purple top and jeans, trainers, and no make up at all, hadn't shaved. On my way to Welling station I walked amongst a large group of what some people would describe as "chavs" - they looked about 14, were pushing several prams and all smoking like chimneys. They were taking up the whole pavement between them, ambling along, so I had to walk through the middle of them and narrowly avoiding the one who was riding his bike. then I turned left and left them behind. 
Instantly I heard behind me - one of them shouting at the top of his voice, 


"ER, EXCUSE ME, MAN OR WOMAN?" 


It took me a second to twig they meant me.. and once I'd absorbed that fact I smiled. I took it as positive, firstly, they hadn't tried to attack me, or even said anything rude about me. They merely pointed out in their own simple way what was clearly true. 
So the upshot was that I was pleased that even on a day when I had made no effort, was wearing jeans, hadn't shave, my innate femininity was still clearly obvious to a bunch of pram pushing chain smoking chavs in Welling

No comments: