Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sensitive Aspies

Since I was diagnosed as having Asperger Syndrome I've never accepted that I do not feel empathy. I've always been very sensitive to what others feel - abnormally so.

Well now this has been backed up with a new study (click on title)

"“There are those who say autistic people don’t feel enough,” says Kamila Markram. “We’re saying exactly the opposite: They feel too much.” Virtually all people with ASD report various types of oversensitivity and intense fear. The Markrams argue that social difficulties of those with ASDs stem from trying to cope with a world where someone has turned the volume on all the senses and feelings up past 10. If hearing your parents’ voices while sitting in your crib felt like listening to Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Music on acid, you, too, might prefer to curl in a corner and rock."

I have Jon Ronson to thank for tweeting this information, and retweeting it at my request.

And I'm the only person I know who's ever listened to Metal Machine Music all then way through. Twice.

No comments: