Monday, July 25, 2011

Stour Valley to London


I woke up earlier this morning to the sound of many many children trying to shower, get dressed, have breakfast and pack.
As I had the dorm to myself I took my time, eventually getting up just as the 3 black single-mother families from London were on their way out of the door. They all said 'bye' before they left even the one I thought didn't like me and i was left with an empty kitchen. It was after 9.00 so I had to rush a bit. Made breakfast - toast and coffee - while i packed, emptied room, got everything out onto veranda area and managed to have enjoyable leisurley breakfast. Caroline turned up with young assistant at 10.00 and I quietly slipped away at about quarter past.
Decided to take a new route and headed to East Bergholt, wandering briefly onto the A12 where I beeped by the traffic within seconds of arriving, as if i had much choice, its the only fecking main road that every other road seems to join up with.
After about 10 minutes was back on a country lane. Managed to listen to most of part two of Dawkins' "Greatest Show On Earth" which is a great book Dawkins' scathing account of creationist arguments and their refutations are the best bits. Noone does scathing like Dawkins, no wonder they hate him. His description of the evidence is also pretty good - this is an essential book for anyone who ever takes on those religious nuts who think evolution is some sort of superstitious belief system.
I thought I was fully recovered but as time went on I floundered somewhat. The wind picked up. I ended up on quite big roads (no choice!) and it all just got a bit too much. Decided to bail out at Braintree after 10 miles of quite unpeasent cycling, and knowing it just wasn't going to get any better as I got nearer to London.

Back in London

end of the line: Braintree station

A carving from times before the invention of trousers

this is the most mental village sign i've ever seen

fresh roadside bunny

No comments: