Thursday, January 14, 2010

Peter Ackroyd

I've started reading Peter Ackroyd's Biography of London. Since I'm working close to the city of London now I might as well take the chance to explore it. I'm also reading a book of ghost walks - where the ghosts are just excuses really to explore odd and interesting bits of London. four of the walks are round where I work, and there's one in Greenwich.
 
Ackroyd does like taking liberties with the truth. He's decided that London pre-dates the Roman era, even though I'm pretty sure, there's no real evidence for this; and I'm interested to note that he decides Londoners are a Romano-London mix, which is compeltely unture. DNA evidence shows that Londoners and Britons generally were left completely untouched by the roman population, genetically speaking. Obviously there was so little cross-fertilization, if any, that it left no trace at all in our DNA.

Mind you, despite that, or because of it, Ackroyd can weave a good tale, so I forgive him. but his "facts" need to be taken with a pinch of salt. I wonder what his views on climate change are?

No comments: